Jetson has been right at the forefront of the self-balancing scooter market for some time now. Having put its name to a whole bunch of top-selling boards on Amazon, Jetson is renowned for pairing super-premium technology with seriously affordable prices. In the case of the Jetson Z5 Eclipse Hoverboard, this thing looks set to be another installment of the same winning formula.
The Jetson Z5 Hoverboard – also known as the Eclipse – boasts an impressive 400W dual-hub motor, a quality Bluetooth speaker built into the deck, and a maximum rider capacity of 220lbs. It’s also said to have a pretty impressive top speed, and range made even sweeter by the accompanying Ride Jetson mobile app.
I’ve personally ridden a few boards from Jetson by now, so I have got a pretty good idea of what to expect. In my detailed Jetson Z5 Hoverboard review, I’ll be taking a look at some of the main features and selling points that have made this thing such a huge hit on Amazon.
Jetson’s boards may retail for slightly higher prices than some comparable boards but have nonetheless proved to be all-around crowd-pleasers over the years. Let’s take a look at the Jetson Z5 Hoverboard in a little more detail.
Jetson Z5 Eclipse Hoverboard Pacakge Contents:
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
Features of Jetson Z5 Eclipse Hoverboard Features
1) Right off the bat, the Jetson Z5 self-balancing scooter is powered by an epic 400W dual-hub motor, giving it all the grunt it needs to carry riders as heavy as 220lbs.
2) The board itself is beautifully styled, with an attractive matte black finish and a series of super-bright LEDs to the front for added visibility in darker conditions.
3) This is another board that features the brand’s Active Balance Technology, which makes for an exceptionally smooth and stable ride at all times.
4) A full charge is enough to take this thing an impressive 12 miles, during which you’ll be cruising along at a top speed of 10mph.
5) The Bluetooth speaker built into the Jetson Z5 is of way higher quality than most comparable boards for this kind of price.
6) Also worth mentioning is the Ride Jetson app, which, along with controlling a bunch of features with the board itself, also allows you to compete with your friends for added entertainment.
My Experience with Jetson Z5 Eclipse Hoverboard
This may be one of the lower-end models from the Jetson range, but I still had relatively high expectations. They’ve rarely put a foot wrong in the past, so I figured they’d serve up more of the same with this thing. Which they did – the Jetson Z5 is (for the most part at least) an impressive and enjoyable piece of engineering.
As was the case with the other Jetson boards I’ve tried, I was impressed with how strong and stable the construction of the board itself felt when stepping on it. At which point, Jetson’s superb active balance technology takes over, bringing a feeling of safety and stability to the whole thing you can’t help but be impressed by.
Even though the 400W dual-hub motor isn’t the most powerful from the Jetson range, it still feels more than capable underfoot. The 10mph top speed is reached and held with ease, moderate inclines are easy to traverse, and the ride is smooth and enjoyable on everyday surfaces.
The Jetson Z5 may not break the mould in terms of special features and functionalities, but it nonetheless has a feeling of quality that’s surprisingly rare these days. Also, like its counterparts, the Bluetooth speaker is surprisingly high quality, and the Ride Jetson app makes a great addition.
I wouldn’t personally be using it to compete with my friends (who aren’t into self-balancing scooters anyway), but I could see my kids having an absolute blast with it. I wouldn’t advise putting it to the test off-road, but it wasn’t designed with tough terrain in mind. Other than this, it’s a quality board at an affordable price that delivers in terms of power, performance, and pure enjoyment.
- Quality materials and manufacturing
- Solid power and performance
- Feels safe and stable underfoot
- Up to 12 miles range from a single charge
- Excellent top speed of 10mph
- Impressive speaker quality and sound output
- Extensively safety tested and certified
- Unsuitable for off-road use
As for whether the Jetson Z5 hoverboard could stand to be improved, the short answer is yes. It’s not suitable for off-road surfaces and nor is it waterproof, so you need to keep an eye on the conditions when you’re using it. But at the same time, these aren’t the kinds of features you’d normally expect for this kind of price.
In terms of value for money, the Jetson Z5 Electric Scooter delivers everything you could expect and a fair bit more besides. It’s right up there in terms of quality, it’s an extremely stable board to ride, and the accompanying app is one of the best I’ve played within a while.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.