With a name like this, you’d expect nothing but an impressive performance from the Jetson Z12 Hoverboard. Likewise, the fact that this hoverboard sells for a slightly higher price than most budget boards increases expectations further.
With such a huge range of hoverboards up for grabs these days for around $150, what can you expect from a board that costs closer to $250? In the case of the Jetson Z12 Hoverboard, the answer is pretty simple. This gorgeous-looking scooter has been designed to handle all types of terrain in its stride, rather than being confined to smoother surfaces.
The Jetson Z12’s Galaxy wheels are no less than stunning, it’s said to have a relatively nippy top speed, and the whole thing has been built with total safety as a priority. Suitable for kids and adults alike, the extreme terrain Z12 galaxy hoverboard could well be the ultimate family-friendly board for on- and off-road use.
But what does it bring to the table that you wouldn’t get from a lower-cost board? As you’re spending around $100 more, what is about it that justifies the higher price? Read on for all the details you’ll need in my in-depth Jetson Z12 review.
Jetson Z12 Hoverboard Package Contents
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
Features of Jetson Z12 Hoverboard
1) The Z12 Galaxy boasts a unique exterior design with beautiful Galaxy’ LED wheels, which burst into life when the board is in motion.
2) All boards from Jetson come complete with an exclusive companion mobile app, which can be used to control a variety of functions and performance settings.
3) The company’s exclusive ‘Active Balance Technology’ makes for a uniquely safe and stable experience. Ideal for newcomers and younger riders.
4) Designed with adults and kids of all ages in mind, the Jetson Z12 Galaxy Hoverboard has the power to carry riders as heavy as 225lbs.
5) Twin 400W motors under the hood are good for a top speed in the region of 11mph, with a maximum range of approximately 10 miles.
6) The oversized wheels and tires have been designed with tougher off-road surfaces in mind, such as grass, compacted dirt, and gravel.
7) Bluetooth connectivity brings further enjoyment to the whole experience – as does the in-built Bluetooth speaker for music on the go.
8) Like all good boards, the Jetson Z12 Extreme Terrain Hoverboard with LED Galaxy Light-Up Wheels is UL 2272 safety certified for total peace of mind and comes complete with an extended warranty from the manufacturer.
My Experience with the Jetson Z12 Hoverboard
I’ve tested so many ‘all-terrain’ hoverboards that I’ve become a little skeptical about this particular claim to fame. The reason being that while hundreds of scooters claim to be off-road-ready, the vast majority are nothing of the sort. In the case of the Jetson Z12 Extreme Terrain Hoverboard, this well-presented board with plenty of power under the hood lies somewhere in the middle.
Starting with the good – this is one of the most beautifully balanced and controllable boards I’ve ever had the pleasure of stepping on. I wouldn’t hesitate to hand it to a kid rider or a newcomer – it really is as easy as it gets to mount, ride, stop and dismount. It also turns on a dime and has some of the most precise controls I’ve ever experienced. There’s more than enough pulling power to carry full-grown adults (like me) up relatively step slopes.
I can vouch for its top speed of around 11mph, while the battery is good for about 90 minutes of riding. The Jetson app is also great, and the Bluetooth speaker is above average, and the battery charges within a couple of hours. As for its off-road performance, there are pluses and minuses to the Jetson Extreme Terrain.
In its defense, the answer is yes – it does deliver the goods on short grass, hard dirt, and rough concrete. However, I wouldn’t go so far as to use the word ‘extreme.’ Which has nothing to do with its performance in general, but more the fact that it simply isn’t big enough to deliver ‘extreme’ off-road performance. Other than that, everything about the Jetson Z12 Extreme Terrain was impressive enough – even considering its elevated price tag.
- Excellent manufacturing quality
- Capable of carrying heavier adults
- Extremely powerful twin-400W motors
- Good top speed of 11mph
- Relatively lightweight and easy to carry
- Sturdy and balanced when mounting and dismounting
- Deals confidently with inclines
- Not the most ‘extreme’ off-road ride
In summary, the Jetson Z12 Hoverboard is, by all accounts, a high-quality on- and off-road scooter. Perfect for the whole family, it delivers enough power to deal with difficult surfaces and heavier riders with ease.
That said, it’s probably not the board to go for if planning on tackling sand, snow, and loose gravel. You’ll need something slightly bigger, though in all other areas the Jetson Z12 Extreme Terrain both impresses.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.