If I’m perfectly honest, the Hover-1 Liberty hoverboard wasn’t one I’d heard of before being asked to conduct a review. Not that this is a problem for me – I’m always more than happy to put something new and exciting through its paces!
In the case of the Hover-1 Liberty hoverboard, this thing has been selling like the proverbial hot cakes for years. Both on Amazon and with major retailers like Walmart, it’s been a pretty popular commodity for some time. The basic list of specs paints a pretty pleasing picture – decent speed, brushless motor, UL safety certification, and of course, a relatively low price.
The only thing that concerned me slightly was the maximum weight limit of the Hover Liberty 1 hoverboard. Capable of carrying riders up to a maximum of 160lbs, let’s just say I was pushing my luck at least a bit. Nevertheless, the consistently high ratings I came across online were reassuring enough, so I set about putting it through its paces.
As for how it stacked up against the rest of the board I’ve tried this year so far, you’ll find all you need to know in my detailed Hover-1 Liberty hoverboard review below.
Hover-1 Liberty Hoverboard Package Contents:
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
Hover-1 Liberty Hoverboard Features:
1) Taking a closer look at the spec sheet, this impressive board is capable of supporting a full 5,000 battery charge cycles, very impressive long-term value for money.
2) The maximum weight limit of the border is specified as 160lbs, making it suitable for kids and lighter adult riders.
3) Battery charging times are specified as 4.5 hours to 6.5 hours. After which the board has a maximum range of 3 miles.
4) The top max speed is listed at 7.4 mph, while the solid 6.5 inch wheels are designed for use on sidewalks and similarly smooth surfaces.
5) There’s an extensive range of colors available to suit all preferences, which in all cases look the part.
5) The board is powered by an advanced brushless motor for the longest possible lifespan.
My Experience with Hover-1 Liberty Hoverboard
I’d like to raise one important point at this stage – this is by far one of the cheapest self-balancing scooters I’ve ever tried out. I’m pretty sure it retails for somewhere in the region of $80, which should be taken into account when you consider its performance.
With its maximum rider weight limit of 160 lbs, anyone even slightly heavier than me should probably look elsewhere. It supported me just fine but didn’t deliver a great deal of grunt when putting to the test.
My kids loved it, though – I’d recommend it more as a toy than a serious personal transporter.
Considering the price, the top speed of 7mph is relatively impressive. The downside is that with charging times verging on 7 hours, you’re still only looking at a maximum range of 3 miles. Again – decent enough as a toy, but not a particularly useful adult transporter.
Other than this, it’s a relatively simple picture with the Hover-1 Liberty self balancing scooter. 5,000 battery charging cycles make for outstanding long-term value for money. The board itself is well put together and presented, with a wide range of colors available.
There’s no Bluetooth or adjustable riding modes, but it’s safe and stable enough for kids and newcomers to get to grips with. Simple yet effective (just like this review), the Hover-1 Liberty is great as an ultra-basic board for kids. For adults and anyone who takes their riding seriously, you may need to spend a little more.
- Quality materials and manufacturing
- Feels safe and stable underfoot
- Decent top speed of 7mph
- An excellent choice for kids
- Safety tested and certified
- One of the cheapest hoverboards around
- Unsuitable for adult riders
Make no mistake about it – none of the above is intended as a criticism against the board. For this kind of money, the Hover-1 Liberty is a genuinely impressive piece of engineering. It’s the kind of thing you’d have paid $200+ for just a couple of years ago, illustrating how far things have progressed as of late.
As an affordable entry-level toy for kids, you cannot go wrong for such a low price. Especially given its full UL 2272 safety certification. It’s just that if you’re looking for a reliable transportation device for an adult, this isn’t it.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.