One of the few things most self balancing scooters have in common is their limitations as far as terrain is concerned. With the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch All-Terrain Hoverboard, it’s an entirely different story.
This imposing-looking device has been designed to deal pretty much anything you can throw at it. Rough surfaces, uneven terrain, steep hills, and even wet weather – all no problem at all for the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch self balancing scooter. Or at least, that’s what the manufacturer claims.
Which is why I decided to carry out my own TOMOLOO 6.5-inch Hoverboard review. I wanted to see whether an affordable board like this really could outperform most other devices in its class. Having seen a series of significant price reductions since its launch, it’s currently on sale for its lowest ever price.
Far from a basic toy for doing laps in the kitchen, this Hoverboard is designed to be a high-performance, all-round transportation tool that does the business on a much higher level. Impressive claims, but how does it perform when put to the test?
Hoverboard Box Content
- 1 Main unit (scooter).
- 1 Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- 1 User Manual.
Features of the TOMOLOO 6.5″ Hoverboard
- The defining feature of the device is, of course, its enormous 6.5-inch wheels with never-flat tyres. Designed to cope with the vast majority of smooth and rough surfaces alike, the manufacturer claims the board can climb inclines as steep as 20° – even when the surface is rough, slippery or uneven.
- The combination of a fire-retardant shell and full UL2272 Certified adds up to one of the safest and most reassuring boards in its class. Extensive measures have been implemented to ensure the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch adult and child hoverboard cannot overheat or short-circuit.
- Taking power and performance to extremes, the board features two 350-W motors under the hood, capable of carrying even the heaviest riders with ease. Even when the going gets tough, this high-performance device is capable of a top speed in excess of 9mph and has a maximum range of approximately 9 miles.
- Additional safety features fitted to the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch All-Terrain board make it suitable for use in wet conditions, so rain doesn’t have to stop play.
- It may be an all-business board, but it still comes complete with a Bluetooth speaker 4.2 connected surround-sound stereo speaker for added enjoyment. Not to mention, a decent scattering of ultra-bright LED lights for enhanced visibility during darker conditions.
- The innovative and exclusive TOMOLOO mobile app enables the rider to control a variety of settings and functionalities, including the sensitivity of the board, its top speed, auto shutdown times and so on. You can even turn it on and off via your mobile device.
If I’m being perfectly honest, I don’t have a huge amount of experience with off-road boards. For the simple reason that I’ve never had much use for one – being a city-dweller and all. Nevertheless, I was curious to see if and to what extent a board like the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch All-Terrain could outperform the scooters I’ve tried and tested to date.
First and foremost, this particular TOMOLOO is a large and imposing piece of kit. It’s nowhere near as heavy as it looks, but has a feeling of durability to it that’s always reassuring. It needed a top-up charge of about 90 minutes out of the box, after which I set up the TOMOLOO mobile app and headed outdoors.
On the smoother paths and surfaces around our home, wow this thing was an absolute joy to ride. The smoothness of the ride and the consistency of its output were leagues ahead of anything I’ve ridden to date. I thought all hoverboards gave a decent enough ride – this thing was on another level.
The top speed of 9mph was also more than enough for me – particularly given how responsive and manoeuvrable the board is. Nevertheless, it wasn’t until we took it to a local park that I got a proper feel for its capabilities. I put it through its paces on grass, dirt and even loose gravel – all of which made almost no difference whatsoever to its performance. The manufacturer says it can climb hills as steep as 20° – I can confirm this. And that’s while carrying my weighty person, too!
Flying around on this thing across all surfaces turned out to be one of the most enjoyable riding experiences of my life to date. If anything, the only issue with the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch All-Terrain Hoverboard was its one-hour battery life. Not that this isn’t the norm for self-balancing scooters, it’s just that I could have happily carried on riding it all day!
It may be a little more expensive than some of the budget scooters from the same brand, but what you get in terms of power and performance is simply out of this world.
- Huge never-flat tyres designed to deal with anything
- Excellent top speed and range
- Outstanding power and performance
- Operates with ease on most surfaces
- Deals comfortably with moderate inclines
- Looks great and feels durable
- Surprisingly lightweight considering its performance
- Superb value for money
- Slightly more expensive than typical budget scooters
As you’ve probably figured out by now, I really couldn’t find enough positive things to say about the TOMOLOO 6.5″ Hoverboard. The simple fact of the matter being that if you want a board that’s as good on rough surfaces as it is on the sidewalk, you need to pay a little more. Hence, the TOMOLOO 6.5-inch self balancing scooter isn’t cheap, but it will never let you down – whatever you throw at it.
It’s the kind of slick, stable and super-intuitive board you could easily give your kids as a high-quality toy. At the same time, it’s also a high-performance device you could count on for your daily commute. Once again, there may be cheaper boards out there from the same brand, but in the case of this self balancing scooter, you really do get what you pay for!