You have to be realistic with your expectations with the average 6.5-inch electric self-balancing scooter. After all, this isn’t the kind of cash that’s going to buy you a supercar-quality personal transporter. Nevertheless, the UNI-SUN 6.5 inch hoverboard proves you don’t have to overspend to take home an impressive ride.
It’s another welcome addition to the sub-$150 price category, which is already bursting at the seams. At first glance, it looks pretty similar to most of its counterparts. 6.5-inch wheels, attractive exterior styling, plenty of LEDs for added visibility, and so on. Hence, it’s only when you put the Uni-Sun 6.5″ to the test that you realize what you’re getting for your money.
In all areas, that matter, the UNI-SUN 6.5 inch Hoverboard delivers serious bang for your buck. Top speed, range, charging times, safety, maximum rider capacity, and so on – all well ahead of expectations for this kind of price. It’s also UL2272 safety certified, as all good boards should be. Check out my more detailed review below for the full lowdown on this budget board and its unique pros and cons.
Manufacturer’s claims are one thing, but how does it perform when put to the test?
UNI-SUN 6.5 inch Hoverboard Package Contents
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
Features of UNI-SUN 6.5 inch Hoverboard
1) According to the manufacturer, this modest machine has enough power under the hood to hit a top speed of 9.3MPH. That’s of course given ideal riding conditions but is still seriously impressive, nonetheless.
2) Powered by dual-300W motors under the hood, this budget self-balancing hoverboard is said to be able to carry riders up to a maximum of 264lbs in weight. If so, this would put it right at the top of the game alongside some significantly more expensive boards.
3) Charging times are listed as up to 3 hours, after which the UNI-SUN 6.5 inch self balancing scooter has a maximum range of approximately 9 miles. Of course, this will vary significantly from one rider and terrain type to the next, but is a decent maximum range nonetheless.
4) There are a handful of different specifications available – the classic version I took a look at shipped with no Bluetooth speaker. However, UNI-SUN 6.5 inch Hoverboard with Bluetooth and LED Lights for kids and adults are available in the slightly pricier versions.
5) The manufacturer behind the board claims to be the most committed on the market when it comes to customer support. I’ve had no cause to contact them myself, but I do know they offer a convenient live-chat facility to address questions and concerns.
My Experience with UNI-SUN 6.5 inch Hoverboard
I can pretty much summarise my experience with this board by saying it’s everything a low- Cost self-balancing scooter should be simple, effective, reliable, and good-looking. Out of the box, it might not have the most eye-catching design or ultra-premium finish.
Nevertheless, it’s a handsome piece of kit and really bursts into life when those LED lights are activated. You get the feeling it’s a board designed more for enjoyment than serious riding, which is 100% fine by me.
What really surprised me about the board was the feeling of power, performance, and stability it had while in use. Budget boards have a tendency to feel a little wobbly or flimsy – or at least stutter from time to time when there’s an incline. We (myself and my daughter) tested this thing all over the place, and it performed like a dream.
I’d say the manufacturer’s estimated top speed of 9.3mph is a little optimistic – it’s probably more in the region of 7mph. Nevertheless, it produced an impressive range of around 13km from a single charge and seemed more than capable of handling rougher terrain.
Charging times came in at around 3 hours, which isn’t the fastest but also isn’t too bad. All in all, an enjoyable experience and a board that appears to deliver far more than you’d expect for this kind of price.
- Good looks and impressive manufacturing quality
- Very solid performance on smooth surfaces
- Available in various colors and configurations
- Impressive speed and range has given the price
- Easy to ride, perfect for adults and kids alike
- Extensively safety tested for total peace of mind
- Other options with Bluetooth speakers available
- Very impressive maximum rider weight
- Slightly longer three-hour charging time
- Limited to smoother surfaces only
- Not waterproof so unsuitable for wet weather
Some say it’s my job to ‘nit-pick’, but there are times when I feel guilty finding fault with a bargain-basement board. The simple fact of the matter being that if you spend around $150 onboard, you can’t realistically expect a scaled-down supercar. In the case of the UNI-SUN 6.5 inch Hoverboard the answer is yes – it does have its flaws and its limitations.
However, considering its $150 price tag, it’s a seriously impressive piece of engineering. Capable of carrying riders as heavy as 264lbs at a decent top speed for a good hour or so, you get way more scooter than you pay for. It roughly summarised – a great choice for adults and kids alike and one serious bargain at its current low selling price.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.