Sometimes, you can tell just by glancing at a board that it was designed with kids in mind. A prime example of which being the TOEU Hoverboard, which is just about as elaborately colourful as it gets. Not that this is a bad thing – it’s just that it looks more like a toy than a serious adult transportation device.
Hence, I was understandably surprised when I learned it has a maximum load capacity of 250lbs. A lesson about never judging books by their covers, which at this point was only just beginning! Read the spec sheet of the TOEU Hoverboard, and you can’t help but be impressed.
According to the manufacturer, this thing has an above-average top speed, a pretty exceptional range, and all the safety features you could ask for. Not to mention a whole bunch of bright LEDs, Bluetooth connectivity, and a fantastic mobile app. Too much to ask from a low-cost board designed primarily for kids? That’s what I intended to find out while conducting my TOEU Hoverboard review.
TOEU Hoverboard Package Contents:
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
TOEU Hoverboard Features
1) Right off the bat, the manufacturer lists the top speed of the TOEU Hoverboard at an impressive 15kmh. Excellent for a low-cost board.
2) Even more impressively, its maximum range is published as up to 20km from a single charge. Again, way more than you’d expect for the price.
3) The board is UL 2272 certified and has a charging time of less than 2 hours for total convenience.
4) Despite being designed mainly for kids, it has a maximum load capacity of 120kg for adult riders.
5) The board itself weighs in at just 9.5kg, making it easy and convenient to carry and transport.
6) Bluetooth connectivity enables the board to link to any connected device via the inclusive mobile app.
7) There’s also a high-quality speaker built into the deck of the board for added entertainment on the go.
8) Bright LEDs improve visibility when riding during hours of darkness.
My Experience with TOEU Hoverboard
If I’m honest, this thing turned out to be one of the most pleasant surprises I’ve had all year. By way of its exterior looks alone, I immediately wrote it off as something as a basic toy for kids. When in reality, it’s an exceptionally powerful and capable board for all purposes.
Three things impressed me most about the TOEU self balancing scooter. The first of which is the pulling power it delivers, which was more than enough to carry me without a single shake or stutter. Secondly, cruising along at 15kmh as an adult on aboard for kids isn’t something you can normally do.
And if all this wasn’t enough, I got about 17km out of it from a single charge. Handed to my daughter to test out, she actually got more than 20km out of it. All from a charging time that averaged a little over 90 minutes, which again is outstanding for a low-cost board.
The app that connects to the TOEU Hoverboard is also surprisingly intuitive and user friendly. You can control various settings, track your journeys, and keep tabs on your usage stats. The Bluetooth speaker itself is of moderate quality, but this is the norm for most boards within this price bracket.
In any case, it’s hardly a deal-breaker when considering everything else this impressive piece of kit brings to the table.
- High-impact visual design
- Quality materials inside and out
- Suitable for adults as well as kids
- Excellent top speed of 15kmh
- Outstanding maximum range of 20km
- Bluetooth connectivity and app
- Bright LEDs for added visibility
- Charges in around 90 minutes
- Safe, stable and easy to ride
- UL 2272 safety tested
- Superb value for money
- Built-in speaker isn’t the best
In a nutshell, you could wrap this thing up in a more ‘mature’ outer casing and market it to grown-ups. There’s absolutely nothing about it that falls short of the mark where it matters most. The Bluetooth speaker isn’t the best, but it’s not as if I ever use one, anyway. In terms of power, acceleration, top speed, maximum range, and build quality in general, it’s right up there.
The mobile app is also excellent, as is the comparatively lightweight design of the TOEU hoverboard for easy transportation. To be frank, I’m almost tempted to say it could be too fast and powerful for some younger riders. But if you’ve older kids (or those with a little riding experience), this thing is an absolute showstopper.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.