Today, I’m going to be taking a look at the Sharper Image Hoverboard. Which, I must admit, I was slightly sceptical about at first. The reason being that having encountered a couple of sketchy reports online concerning Sharper Image Hoverboard fires, I wasn’t entirely sure as to the safety of this thing.
To my pleasant surprise, I immediately discovered that the Sharper Image Hover board sent my way actually the new-generation version. Reinvented inside and out, it’s back in business with full UL 2272 safety certification, along with a brand new “learning mode” for newcomers and a whole bunch of upgrades.
Hence, all scepticism I had went completely and permanently out of the window. Replaced instead with a huge sense of optimism, after reading the specifications sheet. Twin 350W motors, a maximum rider capacity of 220lbs, improved rubber tyres and advanced gyroscopic technology.
On paper at least, a scooter that seems an absolute bargain at its sub-$200 price. Reassured, I set about my Sharper Image Hoverboard review with no preconceptions or prejudice whatsoever. The question being – how did it perform when put to the test?
Sharper Image Hoverboard Package Contents:
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
Sharper Image Hoverboard Features
1) New and improved for today’s conscientious rider, the board is now fully UL 2272 safety certified for total peace of mind
2) A new “learning mode” has also been built into the board, which can be activated by simply pressing the power button twice
3) Improved gyroscopic technology makes for a smoother and more enjoyable ride than ever before, with significantly more precise controls
4) Charging times vary from 2 to 4 hours, while the all-new battery can support approximately 3,000 charging cycles
5) The maximum speed of the board is listed at 6.2mph, alongside an extremely impressive maximum range of just under 15 miles
6) 220lbs is the maximum rider weight – the minimum weight required to operate the board being 50.6lbs
7) The twin 350W motors under the hood are designed to deal with most everyday surfaces, with ground clearance of 1.18 inches and a maximum climbing limit of 15°
My Experience with Sharper Image Hoverboard
One look at this thing and it’s difficult not to be convinced. In terms of exterior styling and overall build quality, it really does look the part. I’ve not personally experienced the previous-generation version myself, so I’m judging this one entirely as a standalone board in its own right.
From top to bottom, I can honestly say it was difficult to find fault with. Testing both the new “learning mode” and the standard riding mode, the whole thing was fantastically smooth, stable and enjoyable from start to finish.
The board was fully charged in just over 3 hours, after which I took it approximately 13.5 miles before it needed more juice. For a board at this price, that’s very impressive. The top speed of 6.2mph isn’t particularly exhilarating, but is more than fast enough for safe and enjoyable commuting.
UL 2272 safety certification is always reassuring (if not essential), while the super-bright LEDs embedded in the board help keep you safe in darker riding conditions. Smooth surfaces are the stomping ground of this thing, where it provides a consistently enjoyable and surprisingly powerful ride.
Even when you encounter moderate slopes, it doesn’t slow, stutter or start vibrating like some boards do. It’d be great if it was waterproof, but you wouldn’t expect it to be for this kind of price. Simple, stable, safe and easy to ride, the hoverboard sharper image provides the quintessential no-nonsense experience. There’s no Bluetooth, no speaker, no app and so on, but personally I can live without these extras!
- Absolutely gorgeous to look at
- Well designed and manufactured
- UL 2272 safety certified
- Beautifully smooth on most surfaces
- Excellent power and performance
- Very impressive range of 15 miles
- The new “learning mode” is a nice touch
- Competitively priced
- Extensively safety tested and certified
- Lacks Bluetooth connectivity
When I was initially approaching this review, I wasn’t really sure about the Sharper Image self-balancing scooter. Now that I’ve tested the new-generation version for myself, I’m convinced. I’d also happily recommend it to others. What it lacks in terms of added extras it more than makes up for in other areas.
There are some boards that just ‘feel’ superior to others in terms of quality. This being one of them, which with its range of 15 miles and reduced battery charging times is an extremely versatile machine. Again, waterproofing would be a bonus, but it’s far from a deal-breaker.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.