It’s not untrue to say that most self-balancing scooters for kids are a little lackluster where quality and performance are concerned. The hoverboard being a rare exception to the rule, which in no way compromises on quality or performance. Currently on sale for less than $200, the SagaPlay F1 hoverboard is a premium motorized scooter designed with kids and younger riders in mind.
An ideal gift for any occasion, the board is fully UL 2272 safety certified for total peace of mind, features an array of bright LEDs to the front, and has a surprisingly nippy top speed. It also outperforms many comparable boards with an extensive range, making it the ideal choice for longer rides and days away from home.
In this review, I’ll be detailing the primary features and benefits that make the SagaPlay F1 self balancing board one of the best choices on the market right now for kids, teens, and lighter adult riders.
SagaPlay F1 Package Contents
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug-In adaptor.
- User Manual.
SagaPlay F1 Hoverboard Features
1) First and foremost, the CSA /UL2272 Certified SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter with UL2271 Certified LG Smart Battery takes no chances when it comes to safety.
2) This isn’t the kind of board you need to worry about at any time, having gone through no less than 159 rigorous safety checks before its launch. Peace of mind as standard – guaranteed!
3) Despite having been designed primarily for kids, this model can support body weight of up to 220lbs. Which means it’s great for teens and younger adults too. Of course, it performs at its best with slightly lighter loads – hence it being perfect for kids.
4) The maximum speed of the SagaPlay F1 is right up there with any of its rivals – 10mph or so in ideal conditions. It also boasts a maximum range of up to 13 miles, which is made even more impressive by its rapid two-hour charging time.
5) There are two 250-W motors under the hood of the SagaPlay F1, which deliver consistently reliable performance on most surfaces. The manufacturer also claims that this is good on inclines of up to 15 degrees, though presumably, this depends entirely on the weight of the rider.
6) The SagaPlay F1 features non-slip grips to keep things safe and comfortable along the way, while the LED lights are ideal for use in low-visibility conditions.
7) Each unit is supplied with a full manufacturer’s warranty of one year, not to mention the pedigree of a company based right at the heart of California’s Silicon Valley.
8) Solid rubber tires ensure that no matter what the SagaPlay F1 rides over, you won’t have to worry about its capacity to cope. This unit is labeled as water resistant, but it is not waterproof.
My Experience With SagaPlay F1 Hoverboard
I’m not a kid, just in case you wondered. But I do have two of my own, so how better to test the SagaPlay F1 than to give all three of us go on it? As far as both of my kids were concerned, this was an absolute winner. Good looking, easy to use, and more than powerful enough to get them around.
Often at the kinds of speeds that made me slightly nervous, if I’m honest! Indoors and out, the SagaPlay F1 did the business no problem. Its range was well up there with the best of them, charging times low and general enjoyment top notch. That said, they did highlight one thing they weren’t at all pleased with – the SagaPlay F1 doesn’t come with a Bluetooth speaker.
Which is a bit of a shame and could be something of a deal-breaker. Then again, it’s not as if most scooters for around this price pack speakers, so it’s not the end of the world. When I placed my own 200lbs frame on the SagaPlay F1, I was impressed and cautious in equal measures.
Great for Kids, Limited Performance for Adults
On the plus side of things, it easily coped with my weight, I didn’t for one minute feel as if it was going to buckle under my girth. Which is, of course, a good thing. I was also impressed by its dynamic performance indoors. Way smoother and more responsive than I had expected.
Outside, it still impressed me to a degree, but not as much as my kids. For one thing, claims as to its top speed and range don’t apply with adults. Likewise, it does struggle a little when things get slightly steep.
And with those solid rubber tires, the ride isn’t as smooth as you might like. Nor does it deal great with cracks, bumps, and debris. You’ll get there, but you’ll feel a lot of what you ride over along the way! Unsurprisingly, all those safety certificates and extensive tests also worked wonders for me as a parent. You really can’t be too careful with these things!
- Excellent stability and a great choice for younger riders
- Quality manufacturing and built to last
- Impressive top speed and good range from a single charge
- Available in a variety of colour combinations
- Complete UL safety certification for total reassurance
- Faster charging times and excellent portability
- It somewhat shows its limitations with heavier types i.e., me!
- Lack of Bluetooth speaker is a bit of a shame
- Not suitable for use in particularly wet conditions
- The solid tyres don’t always offer the smoothest ride
- Limited to smoother surfaces only
The truth is, whether or not the SagaPlay F1 Hoverboard was officially designed for kids from the ground up, it’s, without doubt, one of the best kids’ board on the market by far.
For kids of all ages, it delivers everything it needs to deliver to score top marks. That is, apart from its lack of a Bluetooth speaker. Excellent value for money at around $200, though it’d be no less than a bargain if they’d thrown a speaker into the mix.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.