If you know me which you should by now, you’ll know that I do my best to stay objective with these reviews. Nevertheless, I’m occasionally asked to test out a board I’ve had my eye on for some time.
In the case of this hoverboard review, that’s precisely what happened. You only have to hear of a board like the Ninebot S Self-Balancing Scooter to find yourself getting a bit hot under the collar.
That’s because this great-looking piece of kit comes from none other than the icons at Segway. These guys were technically the first to conquer the self-balancing scooter market and are still widely considered to be the best in the business.
Currently retailing for somewhere in the region of $500, this Self-Balancing Scooter is far from the cheapest board on the market. But at the same time, it’s nowhere near as expensive at the top-shelf rides from brands like Segway.
I always try to approach these reviews with no expectations, but it’s hard when you’re presented with something like this hoverboard. There’s a lot of hype surrounding it, and it’s apparently just as good for (older) kids as it is adults.
Whether I’d be willing to spend this kind of money on it myself well, you’ll have to read the rest of this review to find out! I wouldn’t want to give the game away too early, would I?
- 1 Main Unit (scooter).
- 1 Charging Cable/Plug in Adaptor.
- 1 Accessory Box.
Features of the Ninebot S
- As you’d expect, the manufacturers of this board have prioritized safety and security. It is entirely UL2272 certified, boasting a smart battery management system under the hood to bolster battery performance and safety. It is also IP54 waterproof and can, therefore, be used in a variety of weather conditions.
- This hoverboard is comparatively heavy, weighing in at approximately 28 lbs. Nevertheless, it has an impressive maximum load capacity of 220 lbs, thanks to the installation of dual-400W motors under the hood. This means a consistent top speed of 10 miles per hour, along with an impressive range of almost 14 miles and the ability to climb slopes up to 15°.
- Designed to deal with the vast majority of terrain types, the Ninebot S Self-Balancing Scooter is fitted with 10.5-inch pneumatic tires of the highest quality. Even when traversing loose and uneven ground, this is a board designed with pure performance in mind.
- The Ninebot S Hoverboard also features an interesting knee control bar, which is made to simplify steering and make the board easy to transport. The manufacturer also indicates that the scooter has an operating temperature range of 14-104°F (-10-40°C).
- As with all boards from the famed global brand, this smart scooter is compatible with the official Segway App. Take control of the board’s performance, illumination, problem diagnosis, and even anti-theft safeguards from any connected device.
- According to the manufacturer, this is the perfect board for all riders aged 16 to 60 years.
My Experience with the Ninebot S Hoverboard
To be honest, I was a little worried that I may have expected a little too much from the Ninebot S hoverboard. It’s got all the hallmarks of a Bonafide Segway, but what can you expect for $500? Would it do the business, or is this too much to pay for a watered-down version of the original?
Let’s put it this way – it didn’t take long for my concerns to be well and truly tossed out of the equation. Using the App to complete the New Rider Tutorial, I removed the digital speed limiter to put the scooter through its paces.
Fully charged and ready to go, I set off on my usual journey. 28lbs makes it a little on the heavy side to carry around, but it’s all worth it when you set it= in motion. The two things that stand out most about the Ninebot S are its power and how easy it is to control.
The performance of this thing is truly remarkable – it glides over almost any surface you encounter with ease. It also has one of the most impressive ranges of any board I’ve tested recently -I got at least 12 miles out of it with plenty of inclines covered.
The combination of the knee control bar and intelligent balance circuitry under the hood adds up to one of the most dynamic and responsive experiences imaginable. It’s almost like this hoverboard becomes an extension of your body, responding to each and every move you make like no other board out there.
Tested on concrete, compacted dirt and even gravel, this thing made me feel in complete control of the whole thing from start to finish. The various features and functionalities of the App were impressive, but it was the raw performance of the board itself that really stood out for me.
- Astonishing power and performance
- Suitable for use in wet weather conditions
- Outstanding range and good top speed
- Performs perfectly on a variety of surfaces
- Not suitable for riders under 16 years of age
- It’s a Segway board, so it’s pretty expensive
In summary, the appeal or otherwise of the Ninebot S Smart hoverboard is purely a case of personal perspectives. If you are simply out to buy a basic toy to play with at an affordable price, $500 is probably too much to pay.
However, if you are looking for a board to use on a regular basis for meaningful journeys – commuting to work, for example -this thing is an absolute steal. $500 might seem like a lot, but it’s next to nothing when you consider how much board you are getting for your money.
Whatever the weather and wherever you take it, this self-balancing scooter has been designed to perform on a level that exceeds almost anything else within this price range. And in my experience, at least, it delivers exactly as it promises – believe the hype!