Once again, I recently found myself struggling to set about an objective review of a low-cost hoverboard. The reason being that the Magic Hover T581 has one of those neat-little visual features I’m a sucker for – ‘black hole’ lighting effects on the wheels.
All boards with this amusing lighting effect are great to look at, though admittedly, not all deliver the goods in terms of performance. Currently selling for approximately $200, this hoverboard is perfectly aligned with some of its closest competitors.
The manufacturers take claim to a whole bunch of impressive features and functionalities, along with superior value for money. Still, it’s nothing I haven’t heard before – the hype is one thing, living up to it is something else entirely.
There are a few key details not mentioned in the sales blurb. Still, I was asked to put the Magic Hover T581 Hoverboard through its paces from an entirely objective perspective, so that’s what I did. Check out the full details of my review and see where this fantastic- looking fellow sits in the $200-ish price range.
Magic Hover T581 Hoverboard Package Contents
- Main Unit (scooter)
- Charging Cable/Plug in Adaptor
- User Manual
- ‘Fashion’ Bag
Magic Hover T581 Hoverboard Features
1) The Magic Hover 6.5″ has been fitted with a powerful 700W motor under the hood, which is more than capable of dealing with heavier adult riders. However, it is also perfectly suitable for kids and features the latest intelligent self balancing technology.
2) The manufacturer claims that the 6.5” tires have been designed to deliver a smooth and capable riding experience off-road. Nevertheless, it’s comparatively rare for any budget board within this kind of price range to perform adequately on more challenging surfaces.
3) Download the Smart App for the Magic Hover 6.5 inch Hoverboard and take control of things like power and performance, battery levels, riding modes, LED lighting, and so much more besides. A great little addition to the package.
4) Rider safety has been prioritized by the manufacturer, resulting in both UL2272 & UL2271 safety certification. There’s no mention of waterproofing, however, so it’s probably not the board to use in wet weather conditions.
5) The manufacturer states that this has a top speed in the region of 12km/h, though no specific indication is provided as to its maximum range.
My Experience with Magic Hover T581 Hoverboard
As you probably know by now, I don’t tend to have huge expectations when trialing a board for this kind of money. I expect decent performance, of course, but nothing miraculous. Still, I always hope that I am in for a pleasant surprise. In the case of the Magic Hover T581 self balancing scooter, it was somewhere right down the middle.
Having read the manufacturer’s marketing materials, I figured I was looking at another decent-quality mid-range board that’s moderately priced. And that’s exactly what it turned out to be – a solid performer, but not particularly mind-blowing.
On the usual smooth surfaces, this Magic Hoverboard performs like a dream. True to the word of the manufacturer, it’s also just the ticket for kids and adults alike. There’s a dedicated ‘Child Mode’ you can activate using the mobile app, which limits the top speed and makes it significantly easy to mount and dismount.
For more experienced riders, the 12km/h top speed is more than enough, though I personally only got a range of around 9km out of it from a full charge. Not the worst I’ve encountered, but also far from the best. To call the Magic Hover T581 6.5″ a true off-road board could be pushing it, but I was nonetheless pleasantly surprised with how well it performed on rougher and uneven surfaces.
Primarily grass and dirt tracks as far as my evaluation went, which were traversed with impressive ease and a smooth and enjoyable ride. Last but not least, my daughter is more of an authority on Bluetooth speakers than me. She assured me this was a great board in general and she loved the speaker, though she has such terrible taste in music so it’s hard for me to confirm or refute this!
- Truly mesmerizing LED wheels
- Excellent build quality throughout
- Surprisingly solid performance off-road
- Ideal for kids and adults alike
- Solid top speed
- Excellent accompanying mobile app
- Very good overall value for money
- Range isn’t particularly great
- No indication of maximum load capacity
You could read this review and find yourself wondering if this scooter is worth bothering. As always, however, you need to think about how much board you are getting for your money. These days, $200 isn’t really much to pay for a board that gets the job done.
The Magic Hover T581 6.5″ performs like most other scooters for around the same price. For an affordable board that’s great for adults and kids alike, this thing is well worth checking out.
Likewise, if you’re a sucker for cool-looking wheels (like I am), you won’t want to overlook the Magic Hover T581 Hoverboard. You can’t realistically expect your mind to be blown for this kind of money. Hence, gauge your expectations accordingly, and you won’t be disappointed by this self-balancing scooter.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.