Today, I’d like to talk a little about IO Hawk – one of the most innovative and reputable names in the business. The IO Hawk Two Rugged Hoverboard has appeared in dozens of shapes and sizes over the years, at a wide variety of price points. Thought with many hovering around the $500 mark, this is a premium brand for quality-conscious buyers.
There’s the affordable IO Hawk Signature, the off-road IO Hawk Cross, and the next-generation IO Hawk 2.0. The 2.0 version being the board I recently tried out, which (thankfully) I didn’t have to pay for personally!
Manufactured from the highest quality materials, including carbon fiber components, the IO Hawk 2.0 is a top-shelf scooter. A cut above your average two-wheel balanced scooter in every way, you know you’re looking at something special right away. But what I wanted to find out in my IO Hawk Hoverboard review was whether or not such an elevated price is justifiable.
In some instances, you get what you pay for. Pay $500 or so for the board, and you’re looking at a seriously capable and reliable transportation device. In others, you get significantly more or less than what you pay for. Price alone really isn’t a good indicator of quality these days, so what’s the story with IO Hawk?
Let’s take a closer look at the features and specifications of this premium-priced scooter.
IO Hawk Two Rugged Hoverboard Package Contents:
- Main unit (scooter)
- Charging cable/Plug-In adaptor
- User Manual
Features of IO Hawk Two Rugged Hoverboard
1) The version I tested was the 6.5-inch 2.0 version, which is designed for use on most everyday surfaces.
2) Charging times for the 2.0 have been reduced to around 2 to 3 hours, while the range has been extended to a maximum of 13 miles.
3) There’s also improved top speed of 7.5mph this time around – a slight step up from the previous model.
4) Twin Bluetooth speakers have been included in the deck for added entertainment on the go, along with an array of LEDs across the board and inside the wheels.
5) There are three-speed modes to choose from, making the 2.0 version a great choice for adults and kids of all ages.
6) The IO Hawk App has been enhanced and improved significantly over the years, providing access to a wide variety of additional features and functionalities.
7) Weighing just over 10kg and supplied (in some instances) with a case, the board is easy and convenient to transport.
8) Full UL 2272 safety certification brings total peace of mind into every purchase.
9) As does the manufacturer’s impressive two-year limited warranty.
My Experience with IO Hawk Two Rugged Hoverboard
It’s something of a two-sided story, as far as my experience with the IO Hawk Two Rugged LED Hoverboard went. For the sake of keeping things amicable, we’ll start with the positives – of which there are plenty.
First things first, there’s absolutely no denying the quality of the 2.0. Inside and out, the manufacturers have spared no expense to put together something in a league of its own. It was one of the most impressively manufactured 6.5-inch boards I’ve come across to date and felt solid as a rock under-foot.
Tested in all three riding modes, it delivered the most fantastically smooth and enjoyable experience from start to finish.
A top speed of 7.5mph isn’t going to break any records but still makes for an enjoyable ride. Depending on how hard you hit the trail, the 2.0 can keeping running for up to 13 miles. I’d say I got closer to 12 miles out of it, but that was still a good 2 hours of solid performance.
I’ve never professed to being a fan of Bluetooth speakers, but the twin-speaker setup of this thing is absolutely fantastic. As is the IO Hawk App, which can be used to control various features, perform diagnostics and keep an eye on your journeys.
Despite not having been designed with off-road surfaces in mind, the 2.0 ran like a dream on grass, hard dirt, and the occasional cobble. All while remaining smooth, stable, and solid-feeling underfoot – an extremely enjoyable and confident ride.
If it wasn’t for the fact that the IO Hawk 2.0 is a wee bit on the expensive side, I’d have no complaints whatsoever. And that’s the second part to the story – I’m still trying to work out whether the 2.0 justifies its elevated purchase price.
- A board of unrivalled quality
- Beautifully put together
- Reasonable 7.5mph top speed
- Excellent 2-hour battery life
- Fantastically smooth and stable under-foot
- Outstanding twin-speaker setup
- Three selectable riding modes
- Great IO Hawk App
- Charges in as little as 2 hours
- Extensively safety tested and certified
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty
- A little on the expensive side
At the risk of being confused, I’m going to leave the best hoverboards list to you to decide. On the other hand, for the price of the IO Hawk Hoverboard, you could pick up something bigger, faster, and more versatile on the whole. But at the same time, it wouldn’t be on the same level as the 2.0 in overall quality stakes.
Paying this kind of money for a 6.5-inch board with reasonable specifications seems excessive. Nevertheless, the quality of this IO Hawk hoverboard outpaces almost anything else you can pick up right now in the 6.5-inch segment. Hence, it’s a case of deciding whether you prioritize performance or quality. Not that the 2.0 underperforms, but it’s not quite the roller-coaster ride you might expect for such a premium price.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.