With such a huge variety of low-cost electric scooters on the market today, you tend to expect a lot for very little. The question being that if $150 will stretch to a decent self-balancing scooter, what happens if you spend around $200? The answer apparently lies in the HYPER GOGO 6.5 inch hoverboard, which bridges the gap between budget boards and the more expensive $250+ category.
The HYPER GOGO is a high-quality, cost-effective board for all purposes…or so it claims. It’s also said to be a surprisingly capable off-road hoverboard that’s as good on tricky surfaces as it is on the smoother stuff. This seems a lot to ask for a budget board, but we’ll see what’s what in our more detailed review.
Priced slightly higher than some of its closest competitors, the HYPER GOGO is nonetheless way cheaper than your average all-terrain scooter. Hence, you find yourself wondering whether this thing is a cut above the rest, or if it’s all just a little bit too good to be true. Read on for all the information you’ll need to decide whether or not the HYPER GOGO is the scooter for you.
HYPER GOGO 6.5 Inch Hoverboard Package Contents:
- Main Unit (scooter)
- Charging Cable/Plugin Adaptor
- User Manual
- Carry Bag
Features of HYPER GOGO 6.5 Inch Hoverboard
1) According to the manufacturer, this is a genuine road all-terrain scooter with solid off-road capabilities. In which case, it would be a seriously decent buy for this kind of price.
2) The smart self-balancing technology makes the HYPER GOGO Hoverboard 6.5 off-road easy to mount and dismount, even for those with little to no riding experience. It, therefore, comes highly recommended for children and first-timers.
3) Boasting a top speed of 7.4mph and a charging time of 2 to 3 hours, the HYPER GOGO 6.5″ Hoverboard self-balancing scooter has similar performance claims to most boards within this price bracket. However, the manufacturer provides no direct indication of its approximate range.
4) Every HYPER GOGO 6.5 inch self-balancing scooter has been put through an extensive range of safety tests, and it has received full UL 2272 certification for total peace of mind. Something of a yardstick for safe boards from responsible manufacturers.
5) A high-quality built-in Bluetooth speaker into the board, which connects directly to any mobile device for additional entertainment) on the move.
6) The HYPER GOGO 6.5 inch 2 wheels hoverboard ships complete with a one-month warranty from the manufacturer, along with the promise of dedicated 24/7 customer support if any issues are encountered.
7) The HYPER GOGO 6.5″ Hoverboard is one of the best off-road hoverboards suited for adults with a 400-watt motor, large 6.5″ tires, and an 18-mile range. This board has a published maximum weight capacity of 165lbs. Considerably lower than some comparable boards, but still more than sufficient to carry the vast majority of riders.
8) As an added bonus, a convenient carry bag is included in the package for easy transportation.
My Experience with the HYPER GOGO 6.5 Inch Hoverboard
If I’m honest, I didn’t have particularly high expectations when trying out the HYPER GOGO 6.5″ Hoverboard. It seemed a little on the expensive side, and I didn’t see how it could deliver the promised off-road performance. The fact that it can only carry riders as heavy as 165lbs concerned me somewhat – most boards I’ve been testing recently do the business up to 260lbs or more.
Still, I gave it around 2.5 hours to charge and headed outdoors to see what it could do. First of all, mounting and dismounting the board was easy as pie. It’s an extremely stable board with a genuine feeling quality – it also looks pretty great. I got the board with the camo design, which wouldn’t have been my first choice, but was still very nice to look at. It also had an impressive configuration of led lighting, which I know kids love, especially mine.
Solid Range and Top Speed
On smooth and flat surfaces, the HYPER GOGO 6.5 self balancing scooter cruises around at a speed of around 7mph, which is decent enough. I reckon I got a total range of about 8 miles out of it, with the smart battery lasting just over an hour from a single charge. During which, it did the business just fine on hills and flat surfaces alike, without losing any power or performance.
Off-road well, it was as you’d expect from an excellent 6.5-inch board. Hard dirt, short grass, and so on – all handled smoothly and effortlessly. However, there isn’t a chance in hell I’d be using this thing on the sand, snow, or loose gravel. It’s unrealistic to expect such a compact board to do the business on all types of terrain, so the manufacturer’s description could be a little misleading.
It was an excellent board to spend time with on more typical surfaces, but I’m not sure I’d call it a true off-road board. As such, it’s also perhaps a little more expensive than I’d expect for this kind of performance and relatively generic features. I was also a little concerned by the one-month warranty – why so short?
- Available in a range of striking colors and designs
- Decent overall power and performance
- Suitable for kids and adults alike
- Performs well on a variety of surfaces
- Not waterproof so unsuitable for wet weather use
- Definitely not suitable for all-terrain types
- A little too expensive for what’s on offer
- Limited to adults up to 165lbs maximum
Whether or not I’d recommend the HYPER GOGO 6.5 Inch Hoverboard depends entirely on the price. I’ve seen some sellers advertising these things for close to the $250 mark, which I think is far too much. However, I’ve also come across a few listings for less than $200, which is just about right.
There’s also a second version of the board available with larger tires, which I imagine is significantly more versatile. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with the HYPER GOGO 6.5 self-balancing scooter – it does the business and is extremely enjoyable to ride.
It’s just that, as is often the case, the manufacturer may have been a little too creative in terms of what it’s capable of. An excellent all-round board it is, but a genuine all-terrain board it is not. And if you happen to weigh more than 165lbs, you need not apply.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.
Leave a Reply