Something of a blast from the past today, in the form of the HoverBoost hoverboard. Something of a top-seller in years gone by, it’s become an increasingly difficult commodity to track down. Something I managed to do, so I figured I’d give it the usual treatment with a fully independent HoverBoost hoverboard review.
On paper, it all looks like the classic case of a solid board at a reasonable price that ticks most of the right boxes. Powerful dual-motors under the hood, a seriously impressive range, fast battery charging times, and advanced fire safety. All from a relatively affordable scooter that also looks pretty fantastic.
Still, I’m always at least slightly skeptical when something disappears from existence almost entirely. All boards get discontinued eventually, though some for more honorable reasons than others. I, therefore, wanted to see how the HoverBoost hoverboard stacks up by today’s standards.
Read on for all the info and insights in my detailed HoverBoost review.
HoverBoost Hoverboard Package Contents:
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug In adaptor.
- User Manual.
Features of HoverBoost Hoverboar
1) According to the manufacturer, this gorgeous 22lbs board can comfortably carry riders up to 220lbs.
2) Boasting the latest rechargeable battery technology, it takes less than 2 hours to charge the HoverBoost from a flat.
3) Even more impressively, it’s listed as having a maximum range of 15 miles – way more than most midrange boards.
4) The top speed of this HoverBoost Hoverboard is listed as 10mph, along with maximum a maximum hill-climbing angle of 15°.
5) The 6.5-inch wheels with solid tires are designed to deal with the vast majority of smooth everyday surfaces.
6) Extensive safety testing adds up to superb fire safety when riding and charging for peace of mind.
7) In-built LEDs illuminate the board to the front and the rear, which is great when riding in darker conditions.
8) The battery has a lifespan of more than 1,000 charges, adding up to outstanding long-term value for money.
9) Available in black and white, featuring premium materials and components inside and out.
My Experience with HoverBoost Hoverboard
Expectations set to neutral, I stepped on the board in our backyard for an initial test. In doing so, I have to say I was impressed by its build quality and strength. No creaking or disconcerting cracking sounds, which can sometimes be an issue with low-cost decks. After which, the twin-250W motors under the hood do their business with way more power than you’d imagine.
No drama on relatively smooth surfaces, though the solid rubber tires do make things a little bumpy on occasion. On the plus side, they’re impossible to burst. Ride this thing over even the sharpest debris along the way, and you’ve nothing to worry about.
In any case, there were two things that impressed me most about the HoverBoost Self-balancing board. The first of which being that in every instance, it charged from flat in less than 90 minutes. I’ve seen boards for three-times this price that takes longer than this to charge – very impressive. More so, this ultra-fast charging somehow paves the way for a range of 15 miles. Put to the test, that’s more or less exactly what I got out of it.
The manufacturer says you’ll run out of energy before this thing does – they’re not kidding! During the ride, the 10mph top speed is reached comfortably and maintained with ease. No dramatic slow-downs or stuttering when you hit a slight incline, which is always good. The controls are good and precise, it’s not too heavy to carry, and there’s nothing not to like about its looks.
It lacks Bluetooth connectivity and a built-in speaker, but that’s no big deal to me. Simple yet effective, the HoverBoost swaps complex features and optional extras for solid and dependable power and performance. An enjoyable ride for kids and adults of all ages, with the added bonus of one of the fastest charging times of any board I’ve put to the test to date.
- Very fast charging time
- Impressive 15 miles top range
- The elegant and understated design
- Strong and durable construction
- Decent amount of power
- Top speed of 10mph
- Smooth and safe on most everyday surfaces
- Very enjoyable and easy to ride
- Extensively safety tested and certified
- Superb value for money
- Lacks Bluetooth connectivity
If it’s a case of choosing between a simple board that performs fantastically and a feature-packed board that’s a bit on the flimsy side, I will go with the former. That’s exactly what this thing is – simple, effective, and enjoyable to ride. Bluetooth technology is becoming something of a standard for self-balancing scooters these days.
Nevertheless, it isn’t what you’d call 100% necessary. Kids might love in-built speakers and accompanying apps, but I rarely use them myself. In all other respects, the HoverBoost self balancing scooter really does tick all the right boxes. Mid-range performance from a low-cost board, which leaves all unnecessary nonsense out of the equation.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.