The GOTRAX Hoverfly ION LED hoverboard joined a pretty crowded and congested segment of the hoverboard market late last year. At which time, there were already hundreds of devices available for around the $150 mark.
In this GOTRAX Hoverfly ION Hoverboard review, we’ll be taking a look at some of its most important features. Beautifully presented and bursting with the latest technology under the hood, this hoverboard delivers the total package. Power, consistent performance, and superior safety – all for a bargain price. In fact, it does the job better than many more expensive boards on the market.
All in all, this budget-friendly board illustrates that you don’t have to spend a fortune to take home a genuinely capable and enjoyable self-balancing scooter. You don’t even have to spend $150; now it’s been reduced in price a bunch of times!
GOTRAX Hoverfly ION Hoverboard Package Contents
- Main unit (scooter).
- Charging cable/Plug-In adaptor.
- User Manual.
GOTRAX Hoverfly ION Hoverboard Features
1) Right off the bat, the GOTRAX Hoverfly ION LED self balancing scooter boast the latest self balancing technology, which keeps the board stable and secure with or without a rider. This makes it the perfect choice for kids of all ages, or anyone getting started with self-balancing scooters for the first time.
2) The cutting-edge dual motors under the hood generate an enormous 400W of power, which is more than sufficient to carry riders as heavy as 220lbs. Even when faced with relatively steep inclines, the output is consistent and the performance of the scooter seamless.
3) While the top speed of 7 miles per hour isn’t the fastest of any board in its class, it’s more than sufficient for the vast majority of riders. It’s a nimble and highly maneuverable board, which is designed to deal with the vast majority of everyday surfaces.
4) A whole bunch of LED lights has been installed across the board and within its wheels, which makes for an eye-catching show. Super-bright LEDs also play a role in maximizing the safety of the board when used during darker conditions.
5) Taking health and safety to extremes all electrical, battery, and charger systems have been fully tested & certified to UL 2272 safety standards. This LED hoverboard is an extremely safe and reliable self-balancing scooter when used in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines.
My Experience with GOTRAX Hoverfly ION Hoverboard
Having tested a fair few scooters from GOTRAX before, I’m more than familiar with what these guys are capable of. I had pretty high expectations from the get-go – I’m pleased to say I wasn’t disappointed.
Just to nail that rather important point, first of all, the answer is yes – the board’s top speed of 7mph isn’t particularly fast. Nevertheless, it’s worth remembering that the GOTRAX Hoverfly comes highly recommended as an introductory board for beginners, or as a safe and stable option for kids. It’s not made for racing, but rather leisurely cruising around the neighborhood without a care in the world.
In any case, it more than makes up for its lack of speed in other areas. For one thing, the power generated by the twin-motors under the hood is enormous. Even for riders of a somewhat weighty disposition, the GOTRAX Hoverfly ION Hoverboard simply gets the job done. I tested it out on sidewalks, driveways, grass, and a couple of moderate inclines around our neighborhood – all of which were no trouble whatsoever for the GOTRAX.
A Great Looking Board with Plenty of Power
In terms of presentation, this hoverboard really does look the part. Choose from a handful of color configurations, each of which is enhanced by plenty of LEDs all over the place. It’s also got a decent amount of weight to it, which gives it a feeling of quality and durability.
One of the most impressive features of the board is its advanced self-balancing technology. Over and above many boards I’ve tried out – even some at a much higher price – the GOTRAX Hoverfly is one of the easiest boards to mount and dismount I’ve ever come across.
My wife isn’t exactly a veteran with self-balancing scooters, and even she had no trouble whatsoever, putting it through its paces. Hence, I can understand why it’s a top-rated and recommended board for kids and newcomers.
The range/riding time is just about average for these kinds of boards. You get a good hour or so of consistent power before a recharge is required. A solid all-round performance from a great-looking board, though it would be slightly better if it was waterproof and could be used during wet weather.
- Excellent build quality and gorgeous looks
- Impressive power from the twin motors
- Exceptionally easy to mount and dismount
- Capable of carrying heavier riders
- The decent range for a budget scooter
- Very affordable and great for beginners
- The top speed of 7mph is a little low
- Not waterproof so unsuitable for rainy days
I browsed a selection of GOTRAX Hoverfly ION LED hoverboard reviews while putting it to the test and the consensus seemed pretty clear. In terms of its top speed, special features, and the general ‘wow’ factor, the GOTRAX is a pretty basic board. Nevertheless, its manufacturer didn’t set out to reinvent the wheel.
Instead, they made a robust, reliable, and cost-effective board that gets the job done beautifully. Again, it’s one of the easiest boards to mount and dismount I’ve come across to date. Not only this, but the consistent power it delivers (even when carrying heavy riders) is excellent.
Ideal for kids and adults with no riding experience, the GOTRAX Hoverfly ION represents truly outstanding value for money. Now cheaper than ever before, it’s a board well worth checking out.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.