Are you looking for a self-balancing scooter designed with cruising the city streets in mind? This is apparently the scooter for you – by way of its name, at least. By looks alone, the City Cruiser 8.5 inch hoverboard comes across as a pretty appealing purchase. At a glance, it looks more like an all-action off-road hoverboard than a traditional city cruiser.
Not that this is a bad thing, of course. Any 8.5-inch board that can handle tough terrain is an impressive feat of engineering. In the case of the City Cruiser 8.5 inch Hoverboard, the manufacturer makes some pretty bold claims about its performance and versatility.
It’s clearly built to take on the tough stuff, with its gorgeous exterior styling and rugged build quality. It’s also UL2272 certified and features the latest self-balancing technology for total peace of mind. Read the below review of this hover board to know more.
City Cruiser 8.5 inch Hoverboard Package Contents
- 1 Main Unit (scooter).
- 1 Charging Cable/Plugin Adaptor.
Features of City Cruiser 8.5 inch Hoverboard
1) According to the manufacturer, this hoverboard has put together using the highest quality materials with Bluetooth speaker, and with a scratch, fade-resistant finish to keep it looking outstanding indefinitely.
2) Every City Cruiser 8.5 inch Self Balancing Scooter in this model was put through thousands of intensive safety tests and the board was awarded the world-renowned UL 2272 safety certification. All of which adds up to peace of mind for riders and parents of riders online.
3) The board features impressive-looking 8.5″ wheels, which are powered by a pair of cutting-edge dual motors under the hood. The manufacturer states that the maximum speed of the board is 6mph, which is a little on the modest side compared to some of its closest counterparts.
4) Suitable for adults and children alike, this all terrain hoverboard has a maximum load capacity of 264lbs and can carry riders up slopes of up to 10 degrees. From a full charge, the board is good for a range of approximately 6 miles – again, relatively modest.
5) A series of bright LED lights make for a safer riding experience during darker conditions, while the all-terrain rubber tires are great for dealing with slightly uneven and rough surfaces.
My Experience with City Cruiser 8.5 inch Hoverboard
The thing that impressed me most about the 8.5″ version of the City Cruiser was its capacity to deal with varied terrain. The manufacturer may have got a little carried away with its claims (images of snow, ice, sand, etc.), but it certainly did the business where most everyday surfaces were concerned.
With the City Cruiser 8.5 Hoverboard, I was interested to see whether the small wheels would affect the Experience. In short, the answer was yes, and no. Right off the bat, this isn’t the kind of board I’d trust for an off-road jaunt of any kind.
Then again, the same can be said for just about any 8.5″ self-balancing scooter on the market – it’s not what they’re designed to do. So instead, I focused on its all-round performance on smoother surfaces. There’s no denying that the general power, performance, and maneuverability of this self-balancing scooter are all decent enough.
Safe and Stable
It’s an extremely stable board to mount and dismount, you get the feeling of total control from start to finish, and it looks great. It’s also ideal for adults and kids alike, so it’s a great toy for the whole family.
On the downside, the top speed of just 6mph feels a little sluggish at the best of times. It’s more than fast enough for younger users, but I think I’d find it a little boring after a while. Likewise, a maximum range of 6 miles isn’t really enough for me but is more than enough for most kids.
Especially given the relatively fast charging time – somewhere in the region of 3 hours. In any case, it was (and is) essentially the same board I tried out a while back, only with slightly smaller wheels. So it’s not that I was disappointed – more a case that I already knew what to expect from it!
- Decent power and performance
- Ideal for kids and adults
- Competitively priced
- Extensively safety tested
- Quality materials and construction
- Generally good value for money
- Top speed a little sluggish
- Limited range of 6 miles
This is another one of those boards where your satisfaction (or otherwise) is all down to your initial expectations. Compared to its bigger brother, the answer is yes – the City Cruiser 8.5 inch Hoverboard is a little more limited when it comes to the kind of terrain it can deal with. But at the same time, it’s also significantly cheaper.
For this kind of money, you’ll only ever looking at an enjoyable toy for fun and games. If you’re on the market for a serious machine for important journeys, you’ll need to up the ante price-wise. The City Cruiser isn’t going to blow you away but delivers a decent ride for a highly competitive price.
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our reviews page.
Leave a Reply