No self-balancing scooter is more successful or celebrated than the Segway hoverboard. No less than a marvel of modern engineering, the best Segway hoverboards is the yardstick all others are measured against. Personal transportation really doesn’t come more sophisticated or technologically advanced.
These are the kinds of electric scooters you turn to when high quality and performance are non-negotiable. No gimmicks, no unnecessary extras, and nothing that isn’t insanely useful. If you’d rather have unbeatable battery life, an excellent top speed, and a smooth ride than a Bluetooth speaker, Segway has you covered.
5 Best Segway Hoverboards
- Best for Range: Segway Ninebot S Hoverboard
“Wide Range, Smart battery technology, UL 2272 safety certified”
- Best Selling Hoverboard: Segway Ninebot S-Plus Hoverboard
“Intelligent Lighting, High powered battery, Easy to use”
- Best Personal Transporter: Segway Ninebot LOOMO Hoverboard
“Easy to control, Powerful Motor, Smooth Riding”
- Best for Battery Powered: Segway miniLITE Hoverboard
“Longer Runtime, pneumatic tires, Affordable”
- Best Powerfull: Segway Ninebot S-Max Hoverboard
“High Speed, Extensive warranty, Adjustable Control Bar”
Best Segway Hoverboards
Still, choosing from the various Segway scooters available isn’t always easy. What represents the best Segway hoverboard for you depends entirely on your preferences and requirements. In addition, the budget can also be a factor when shopping for the best-rated hoverboard by Segway on the market.
After all, the average Segway hoverboard doesn’t come cheap, but it’s a price worth paying. In the listings below, you’ll find a brief overview of five of the best Segway hoverboards ever made.
Each of which ticks all the right boxes – high weight limits, LED lights, extensive safety features, and more. Not to mention the epic Segway mobile app, which takes the experience to a whole new level. Here are the five best-rated hoverboards by Segway on the market right now:
By far, the best Segway hoverboard for less than $500 is the Segway Ninebot S. This is a condensed version of the original smart self-balancing transporter but doesn’t in any way compromise on quality. It is combining a mini size with maximum performance; it’s easy to ride and packed with incredible features.
The Segway Ninebot S hoverboard boasts a fast charging time, a top speed of 10mph, and a massive range of 13.7 miles. It also has a fantastic Rider Tutorial feature built into the app for newcomers, along with 10.5-inch off-road tires. Fantastic for all surfaces and capable of carrying adults up to 220lbs with ease.
Features and Benefits
- Smart battery technology for an exceptional range of almost 14 miles from a single charge.
- Superb top speed in the region of 10mph, which can be limited for kids and newcomers.
- UL 2272 safety certification and dozens of additional safety features for peace of mind.
- IP54 waterproof protection ensures safe and enjoyable operation in all weathers.
- Manufactured from the highest quality materials and built to last, though weighs just 28lbs.
- Control an array of extraordinary features via the official Segway app using Bluetooth.
- Covered by a one-year warranty as standard, which extends to all parts and internal components.
Read Full Review: Segway Ninebot S Hoverboard Review
In a nutshell, there’s nothing on the market right now that offers more for the same $500. The Segway Ninebot S is no less than a masterclass in personal transportation at an exceptionally affordable price. An absolute bargain to pick up while it is still available.
- Excellent top speed
- Outstanding range
- Smooth and easy to ride
- Perfect for beginners
- Charges fast
- Suitable for all-weather use
- None at this kind of price
Next in line comes the Segway Ninebot S-Plus hoverboard, which is more or less your own personal robot. Packed with the latest rider safety and anti-theft technology, it’s a step up from its counterpart above. Its maximum speed has been increased to 12.5mph, along with a mind-blowing range of 22 miles per charge.
It is manufactured from durable aircraft-grade magnesium alloy; it’s durable as a personal transporter gets. It’s also suitable for the whole family, with its outstanding new rider tutorial mode. All with the added enjoyment and convenience of a neat ‘Auto Follow’ mode, which is just as cool as it sounds!
Features and Benefits
- Immensely powerful with a top speed of 12.5mph, which can be limited if preferred.
- Capable of running for up to 22 miles from a single full charge, carrying riders up to 220lbs in weight.
- Smart battery management for improved battery life and comprehensive safety in all riding conditions.
- Certified waterproof for use in wet weather, so the fun doesn’t have to stop when it’s wet outside.
- Outstanding anti-theft technology to prevent the accidental theft or loss of your scooter.
- Remote control and Auto-Follow technology – your Segway literally follows you around hands-free!
- Manufactured from the most durable materials, money can buy and covered by a one-year warranty.
Read Full Review: Segway Ninebot S-Plus Hoverboard Review
The Segway Ninebot S-Plus may be slightly more expensive but nonetheless justifies every penny. The additional range, faster top speed, and anti-theft technology make it well worth paying for, as does the Auto-Follow mode, which you simply have to experience first-hand to appreciate!
- A remarkable range of 22 miles
- Outstanding top speed of 12.5mph
- Easy and safe to ride
- Superb anti-theft technology
- Amazing Auto-Follow feature
- Excellent tutorial mode
- Fantastic value at less than $800
- Again, no complaints whatsoever!
Is the Segway Ninebot LOOMO the most sophisticated personal transporter on the market? In a word, yes – this is just about as good as it gets. The Segway Ninebot LOOMO is a personal transporter and personal robotic cameraman; all rolled into one. This sounds like a strange combination, but check it out once, and you’ll see the hype is well justified.
Advanced motion control, disturbance rejection, intelligent planning, obstacle avoidance – you name it, this thing has it. It’s a scooter that literally controls itself, analyzing its surroundings and keeping the rider safe. It’s loaded with 3D perception and robotic mapping technology, along with a 1080p HD camera and more.
It follows you around, it shoots HD video, and it performs like a dream—all with the added bonus of a 22-mile range and an 11mph top speed. If you can afford the Segway Ninebot LOOMO, there’s no point looking at any other personal transporter on sale right now.
Features and Benefits:
- The ultimate robot sidekick that follows you around and shoots stabilized HD movies at the same time.
- Exceptional top range of 22 miles from a single charge and capable of dealing with the toughest off-road surfaces.
- Smooth, stable, and safe right up to the top speed of 11mph, which can be controlled and limited for new riders and kids.
- The LOOMO app opens the door to all sorts of insane features, such as voice control, journey mapping, and so much more.
- The scooter’s software is continuously updated and enhanced using OTA downloads, bringing new features into the mix all the time.
- It is equipped with an Intel RealSense ZR300 camera, which enables 3D perception, robot mapping, and obstacle avoidance.
- 1080p HD-camera with 30Hz streaming, two infrared distance sensors, and so much more besides.
Read Full Review: Segway Ninebot Loomo Hoverboard Review
As already touched upon, this really is as good as a personal transporter gets right now. It’s one of the most expensive scooters of its kind available but literally runs circles around the competition. If price isn’t a problem, buy the Segway Ninebot LOOMO – you will not regret it!
- Packed with the latest AI technology
- The ultimate robot sidekick
- Exceptional top speed and range
- Shoots stabilized HD movies
- Enhanced control via the LOOMO app
- 3D 360-degree obstacle perception
- Route mapping and hazard avoidance
- Quite an expensive scooter
The Segway miniLITE is another all-out personal transporter and mobile robot sidekick in one. A stunning mini self-balancing scooter at a highly competitive price, with all the prestige you’d expect from a Segway. It’s basically the ‘Lite’ version of the Segway miniPRO, delivering most of its features for a much lower price.
For example, it’s got the same massive pneumatic tires, the same top speed, and the same mobile app. It’s built to last, capable of running on almost off-road surfaces, and goes up to 11 miles per charge. The kneebar is removable as preferred, it’s a surprisingly lightweight device, and it can carry riders up to 175lbs.
It also packs a serious punch, with a whopping 1400W of total power under the hood—all in all, an absolute bargain that’s well worth checking out.
Features and Benefits:
- 10.5″ air-filled tires and 1400 watts of engine power, making light work of the toughest surfaces.
- Suitable for kids and adults alike up to a maximum of 175lbs in weight.
- Detachable kneebar for more precise control, which can be removed and reattached with ease.
- Connects seamlessly to the Segway app for dozens of additional features, functionalities, and remote control convenience.
- Boasts an impressive top speed of around ten mph and a solid range of 11 miles from a single charge.
- The superb rider tutorial is great for guiding newcomers and kids through the basics.
- UL 2272 safety certification plus countless additional safety features bring complete peace of mind.
- All the sophistication, performance, and prestige of a Segway at a comparatively affordable price.
Read Full Review: Segway miniLITE Hoverboard Review
The Segway miniLITE demonstrates how you don’t have to spend crazy sums of cash to buy an exceptional hoverboard. Prices vary from one retailer to the next, but the Segway miniLITE Hoverboard always represents astonishing value for money. A great introduction to the world of Segway scooters, minus the usual cost of owning a Segway.
- Exceptional overall value for money
- Impressive range and top speed
- Durable and built to last
- Suitable for adults and kids alike
- Premium performance off-road
- Very stable and easy to ride
- Supplied with an extensive warranty
- Maximum rider weight limit 175lbs
Built with advanced leansteer technology the Segway Ninebot S Max is here to give the smoothest ride by detecting every single movement. Its automatic engine is equipped with 432 Wh air-cooled battery, adjustable speed control for an awesome riding experience.
If you’re purchasing a hoverboard for the first time and want to act cautiously to avoid spending your money on any random product, this Segway Ninebot S Smart Self-Balancing Electric Scooter can be an ideal purchase for you. This electric scooter made a stormy entry into the market as an attractive deal the moment it was launched. And that made me try it out once.
Starting from its appearance, it features an amazing design that is slim and compact. This makes it easy to ride through congested roads or pathways without worrying about hitting people around you. If you’re purchasing this scooter for your kid, its self-balancing feature will come in handy for them.
Additionally, with an adjustable handlebar, neither your kids nor you would have to worry about height issues. That’s the biggest plus point as a rider! This electric scooter is further compatible with the GoKart kit. Thus, you can combine the two means of transport for an ultimate experience, anytime & anywhere.
Keeping in mind the safety of the riders, the sensors of S Max quickly detect unusual movements like lifting or falling and stop the engine. You can also combine your S Max with a GoKart kit to maximize your adventure and fun levels.
Features and Benefits
- This electric scooter comes with an adjustable control bar for easy height adjustments for kids and adults.
- It features a sleek and compact design.
- This Ninebot S Max scooter comes with two high-performing hub motors along with a 432wh air-cooled battery pack.
- You can also connect your scooter to Segway’s Ninebot application to control it from your smartphone.
- Its hand-control steering wheel is specifically designed to provide added control and extra stability.
- The control bar is covered with a soft cover that will feel soft to your hands while driving.
- The S Max comes with four riding modes – safety, beginner, sports, and race. Each of these modes has its speeds to match your interests.
Being an upgraded version of Segway Ninebot S, this hoverboard features a hand-controlled steering wheel that is easy to use and gives more stability for a smooth ride. You can also install the smart Segway-Ninebot application to manage your Ninebot S Max, customize rear LED lights, adjust speed controls, and much more! Overall, the Segway Ninebot S-Max Smart Self-Balancing Electric Scooter is a must-buy.
- Excellent top speed of 12.4 mph
- Excellent range of 23.6 miles
- A slope of around 15°
- High power-packed motors worth 432Wh
- High-quality rubber coating
- Sleek and compact design
- Remarkable overall value for your money
- Quiet operation
- Rider weight is limited
- No Bluetooth
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our Guide page.
Segway Hoverboard Buying Guide
Shopping for a Segway hoverboard can be tricky, given the sheer scope of the options available. On the plus side, Segway has never put its name to anything inferior. By picking up a Segway of any kind, you’re more or less guaranteed a remarkable piece of technology.
Still, picking up the best Segway hoverboard for you means carefully considering your requirements, preferences, and expectations. There’s no shortage of options to choose from, with scooters to suit all budgets up for grabs.
Though in all instances, it’s important to prioritize the following when shopping for a hoverboard from Segway:
Above all else, nothing matters more than prioritizing safety. The good news being that safety has always been a priority for Segway, so you’re in safe hands. All Segway scooters across the board are UL 2272 safety tested and certified. They also feature all manner of additional safety features for added peace of mind.
Some of the more advanced Segways even come with anti-theft technology and other safety/security features. Though in terms of the ride itself, there’s really nothing safer or more reassuring than a Segway hoverboard.
Does brand really matter when shopping for a hoverboard? The short answer is yes, it does. Some brands consistently outperform others for a good reason. Segway hoverboards have always been expensive, but you get what you pay for with this top-shelf brand.
These guys are committed to the most sophisticated technology on earth, delivering an unbeatable ride with every scooter produced. There never has been and never will be a Segway that underperforms or underwhelms. Something that cannot be said for all hoverboard brands – some of which are inconsistent, to say the least.
Shop with a brand you can trust like Segway, and the rest more or less takes care of itself.
The extent to which speed is a key selling point for a hoverboard is entirely up to you. Nevertheless, you want a board that isn’t going to be boring or unexciting to ride. With Segway hoverboards, top speeds vary from 9mph to around 13mph or so. Though in all instances, it can be limited and controlled using the accompanying Segway app.
This makes Segway a great choice for families and newcomers, enabling parents to keep things safe and steady for their kids. Segways are also renowned for performing fantastically off-road – not just on the usual smooth surfaces. One Segway is just the thing for the whole family to enjoy, making for great overall value for money.
Charging times should always be looked into, so you know how long you’ll be waiting to get moving. It could be anything from 2 to 5 hours but should be considered alongside range. Segway scooters can go for anything from 10 miles up to 22 miles from a single charge, which is impressive.
Battery capacity and smart battery management technology make for consistently exceptional performance. All while extending the longevity of the scooter and ensuring there’s no reduction in performance over time. Whatever your requirements and preferences, always opt for a scooter with a good range per charge.
This is where some people are put off the idea of picking up a hoverboard from Segway. Whichever way you look at it, Segway personal transporters are expensive…period. However, it’s more important to look at the whole thing from a value for money perspective.
They may cost a lot, but what you get for your cash is no less than astonishing. You can spend pennies on a low-grade board, but you’ll be looking at low-grade performance as a result. By contrast, invest in a Segway, and you’ll be blown away – every single time you step on it. These are sophisticated pieces of advanced consumer technology, which justify every penny and more.
Last up, don’t take maximum weight capacity for granted when shopping for a Segway scooter. Some are great for kids and adults of all shapes and sizes, handling up to 240lbs or more. By contrast, others have a maximum rated payload of closer to 170lbs. In the case of the latter, heavier adults may be excluded from the equation.
Think carefully about who will be riding the scooter and whether it can comfortably accommodate their weight. It’s also worth checking the minimum rider weight of the scooter if planning on sharing it with your kids. In most instances, Segways have a minimum rider weight in the region of 40lbs, which is just about right.