Shopping for a hoverboard for beginners means being mindful of several key factors. For obvious reasons, the best hoverboard for beginners should be safe, stable, and easy to ride. It should also offer an enjoyable riding experience, a reasonable top speed, and an acceptable charging time. With this in mind, here’s a brief rundown of five of the best hoverboards for beginners of 2021 available right now.
Best Hoverboards for Beginners – Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: SISIGAD hoverboard
A perfect package for newcomers, extensive range of cool colors, worth buying
- Best for Adults: FLYING-ANT 6.5inch Hoverboard
Top performance, safety and stability, value for money
- Best for Teenagers: Spadger G1 pro Hoverboard
Perfectly suitable for younger kids, higher quality Bluetooth, affordable
- Best Bluetooth Hoverboard: Felimoda Hoverboard
Impressive, Great for adults and kids, convenient carry bag
- Best for Kids: Swagtron T882 Hoverboard
Innovative battery technology, great for beginners, prefect for kids of all ages
Best Hoverboards for Beginners – A Brief Buyer’s Guide
Switchable riding modes are also preferable, as is a range of several miles on a single charge. Bluetooth and a bespoke mobile app are both optional, though welcome additions were available. The truth is, there’s no shortage of options available when shopping for the best hoverboard for beginners. There are options available to suit all budgets, though quality differs significantly from one board to the next.
As always, opting for something with a UL 2272 certificate is essential. So is ensuring it has an appropriate weight limit, good battery life, and high-quality construction. Other than this, it’s simply a case of pairing your personal preferences with a top-rated board from a trusted manufacturer.
It’s a well-designed 6.5-inch self-balancing scooter with Bluetooth connectivity and an extensive warranty. Colorful LEDs and a weight limit of 200lbs add up to the perfect package for newcomers - kids and adults alike.
The SISIGAD Hoverboard has been around for some time now and remains a firm favorite worldwide. It also comes in an extensive range of cool colors, each with a Bluetooth speaker built into the deck. Currently, up for grabs at its lowest ever price, it’s well worth checking out as an affordable entry-level option.
Features and Benefits
- The SISIGAD Hoverboard comes backed by an extensive warranty and a 30-day no-questions-asked money-back guarantee.
- Charging times vary from around 3 to 5 hours, after which the battery provides around 30 minutes of ride time.
- According to the manufacturer, the SISIGAD Hoverboard has an impressive maximum weight capacity of 200lbs.
- The powerful motors are capable of dealing with inclines of 10° and guarantee a smooth and stable ride.
- Every board features a Bluetooth speaker built into the deck for added entertainment on the go.
- Super-bright LEDs make for an eye-catching appearance and boost visibility in darker riding conditions.
- It’s also a comparatively lightweight self-balancing scooter, making it easy to transport and carry when not in use.
- All boards from this manufacturer feature UL 2272 safety certification for total peace of mind.
The SISIGAD Hoverboard has always been a safe bet as an entry-level 6.5-inch scooter for all ages. With its modest maximum speed and super-safe lithium-ion battery, it makes a great entry point for newcomers. It may look like it was designed with kids in mind, but it’s perfectly capable of carrying up to 200lbs with ease. A firm contender for the title of best hoverboard for beginners within its price bracket.
- Suitable for adults and kids alike
- Surprisingly powerful performance
- Moderate top speed and range
- Very smooth and stable to ride
- UL 2272 safety certification
- Built-in Bluetooth speaker
- Outstanding value for money
- Takes up to 5 hours to charge
This is a board that takes things to extremes when it comes to presentation. The Flying Ant 6.5inch Hoverboard is a seriously impressive device to look at, which also delivers top performance.
With an impressive weight limit of 200lbs, the Flying Ant Hoverboard 6.5 is suitable for adults and kids alike. Like its counterpart above, it was designed more with safety and stability in mind than speed. Stylish, durable, and UL 2272 safety certified, it’s all you need from an introductory board at an unbeatable price. One that’s currently up for grabs for next to nothing and available in a huge array of cool colors.
Features and Benefits
- Every Flying Ant Hoverboard is extensive safety tested and UL 2272 certified for total peace of mind.
- The latest self-balancing technology has been used to deliver an exceptionally smooth and stable ride.
- Perfect for kids and adults alike, with a maximum weight limit of 200lbs and plenty of power under the hood.
- Charging times average around 3 to 5 hours, after which the board’s maximum range is 6 miles.
- The top speed has been limited to a manageable 6mph, which is just about perfect for beginners.
- Futuristic LEDs are embedded in the board for a seriously attractive appearance and enhanced visibility at night.
- There’s also in Bluetooth speaker built into the deck, which lets you play your favorite tunes when out and about.
- The board itself weighs just under 20lbs, which is about the norm for a quality self-balancing scooter.
Again, there’s little negative to say about the Flying Ant Hoverboard for this kind of money. Great for beginners, it’s perfectly capable of carrying kids and heavier adult riders alike. It looks the part, it’s built to last, and the Bluetooth speaker is superb.
All purchases are covered by an extensive warranty for total peace of mind, as an added bonus. If you’re simply looking to cover the basics as a newcomer, you won’t go wrong with the Flying Ant.
- Extremely stable and easy to ride
- Rugged and durable construction
- Maximum weight capacity of 200lbs
- Sensible top speed of 6mph
- Reasonable range of 6 miles
- Quality Bluetooth speaker
- Superb overall value for money
- Charging time a little too long
Super-premium in every way, it’s one of the most sophisticated boards of its kind on the market right now. It’s perfectly suitable for beginners but could be a little too much for younger kids to handle.
The Spadger G1 pro Hoverboard is something of a standout in this list due to its phenomenal performance. This thing has a monstrous top speed of around 10mph and a maximum weight capacity of 260lbs. Its 8.5-inch tires are great for traversing rougher terrain, while the premium aluminum frame delivers total durability.
There’s a full 700W of pulling power under the hood, making moderate inclines a breeze to climb. As an added bonus, it’s also one of the most beautifully designed hoverboards you’ll ever lay eyes on. If looking for something a little more thrilling than the norm, look no further than the Spadger G1!
Features and Benefits
- Dual-350W motor under the hood for a total combined power output of 700W. A seriously powerful and uncompromising board for discerning riders.
- The Spadger G1 pro Hoverboard has an impressive top speed of 9.5mph – way faster than most comparable boards.
- Oversized tires allow the scooter to be used on a variety of off-road surfaces for added versatility.
- Suitable for adults and kids alike, the Spadger G1 has a maximum rider weight capacity of 260lbs.
- Every board is extensive safety tested and UL 2272 certified for total peace of mind.
- The in-built Bluetooth speaker is also way louder and of higher quality than most comparable speakers.
- Fantastic exterior styling and plenty of LEDs for an even more eye-catching aesthetic.
- Comes complete with an exclusive Smart App that can be used to control a variety of features and functions.
As previously touched upon, this thing could be a little too powerful for younger kids. Nevertheless, it’s just the thing for beginners looking for a seriously thrilling and enjoyable ride. The Spadger G1 delivers one of the most exciting rides of any self-balancing scooter available right now.
Immensely powerful, exceptionally fast, and beautifully put together, it’s a cut above the average in every way. It’s also an absolute steal at its current price, considering what you get in return for your money.
- Huge top speed of 10mph
- Outstanding battery life and range
- Safe and stable on all types of terrain
- Beautifully designed exterior
- Maximum weight capacity of 260lbs
- Fantastic built-in speaker
- Unbeatable value for money
- It could be too fast for younger kids
This is another fantastic hoverboard for beginners that seems to have been around forever. The Felimoda Hoverboard is a UL 2272 certified, Bluetooth-enabled board for beginners at a rock-bottom price. Though designed primarily for kids.
How the Felimoda Hoverboard achieves all of the above at such a low price is a mystery. However, it goes some way to explain why it’s among the top-selling boards in its category of all time. In terms of value for money, in particular, it’s hard to think of anything more impressive.
Features and Benefits
- The Felimoda self-balancing hoverboard is fully UL 2272 safety certified for total peace of mind.
- The 300W brushless motors under the hood are good for a top speed of 9mph and very impressive performance.
- Great for adults and kids alike, the board’s maximum weight limit is a hefty 260lbs.
- There are dozens of colors and designs to choose from; with or without a Bluetooth speaker is preferred.
- Every Felimoda Hoverboard ships complete with a convenient carry bag for easy transportation and storage.
- A single charge is good for a range of up to 7.5 miles, with an approximate charging time of 3 hours.
- Felimoda is renowned for the quality of its customer care and support, which is always reassuring.
- All purchases are also covered by an extensive warranty, and just in case something goes wrong along the way.
Read Full Review: Felimoda Hoverboard Review
I honestly cannot think of enough positive things to say about the Felimoda Hoverboard. When you consider the price it’s selling for, it’s almost too good to be true. Though having piloted this board personally, I can confirm it’s the real deal.
Fast, powerful, safe, stable, versatile, enjoyable, and entertaining – all with the bonus of a rock-bottom price tag. A fantastic board for beginners and one that can comfortably accommodate kids and adults alike.
- Maximum weight limit of 260lbs
- Premium quality brushless motors
- Top speed of up to 9mph
- Excellent range and battery life
- Solid, safe, and stable underfoot
- Available with or without Bluetooth
- Convenient carry bag included
- Exceptional overall value for money
- Absolutely none at this price
Last but not least comes the impressive-looking Swagtron T882 Hoverboard, with its innovative battery technology. Unlike your typical electric self-balancing scooter, this thing features a lithium-free battery for enhanced safety.
Bluetooth enabled and immensely powerful, and the Swagtron Hoverboard T882 remains a phenomenal success story online. It’s also available with some of the most unique LED configurations you’ll ever see for immense visual appeal. Topping out at 7mph and with a decent range of 7 miles, it’s another ideal board for beginners. One that really couldn’t be easier to ride – even with no prior experience whatsoever.
Features and Benefits
- Choose from a variety of designs with unique LED configurations you have to see to believe.
- Full UL 2272 certification for total peace of mind and advanced lithium-free battery technology.
- Decent top speed of 7mph and a range of approximately 7 miles, which is spot on in both instances.
- Charging times average approximately 5.5 hours, which admittedly is a little long to wait around.
- The dual-250W motor provides more than enough power to carry adults and kids up to 170lbs.
- Impressively, the Swagtron T882 Hoverboard makes light work of inclines as steep as 30° – way more than most boards.
- Every purchase is covered by an extensive warranty for total peace of mind and dedicated aftercare from Swagtron.
Read Full Review: Swagtron T882 Hoverboard Review
You know what you’re getting with a brand like Swagtron – a product of pure quality. The Swagtron T882 is no exception to the rule, which delivers above-average performance. It’s great for beginners and can comfortably carry adults up to 170lbs, along with kids of all ages.
In terms of top speed, range, safety, stability, and appearance – all absolutely spot on. The battery takes a little too long to charge, but it’s one of the safest hoverboard batteries out there. Hence, it’s a small price to pay for the added safety and reassurance of lithium-free technology.
- Maximum weight capacity of 170lbs
- Advanced lithium-free battery
- Top speed of around 7mph
- The maximum range of 7 miles per charge
- Extremely safe and stable to ride
- Perfect for newcomers
- Unique LED designs and configurations
- Solid overall value for money
- Takes up to 5.5 hours to charge
If you would like to get reviews of other popular hoverboards, kindly visit our Guide page.
Shopping for the best hoverboard for beginners means pairing your preferences with a top-quality device you can afford. However, there are certain things that should be prioritized over others. Whether buying a beginner’s board for a child or an adult, these are the things to be mindful of before placing your order:
Under no circumstances is it advisable to buy a hoverboard that lacks UL 2272 certification. This is a fundamental prerequisite for any board worth buying, which indicates it is safe to use. Scooters without UL 2272 certification have an elevated risk of catching fire or exploding. Hence, anything that lacks UL 2272 safety certification should be avoided at all costs.
The appropriate weight limit for your hoverboard depends entirely on who will be using it. If it’s for the use of younger kids only, a maximum weight limit of 120lbs should be more than enough. It is also going to be used by heavier adults; go for something with a weight capacity of 260lbs. The higher the weight capacity of the board, the safer and stabler the ride for heavier users.
The vast majority of hoverboards for beginners have 6.5-inch tires. This is more or less the standard for all entry-level hoverboards, which are designed for use on smooth surfaces. Boards with 8.5-inch or 10.5-inch wheels are more capable off-road, though they are usually more expensive.
As a beginner, you’ll probably be limiting yourself to smooth, safe, and even surfaces. In which case, 6.5-inch tires should prove perfectly sufficient.
As you get to grips with riding hoverboards, you’ll appreciate a decent top speed. When getting started for the first time, keeping things slow and steady is the way to go. Hoverboards for beginners typically have a top speed of around 6mph, which is just about right. Boards edging towards 9mph or 10mph can be seriously enjoyable to ride but may not be suitable for kids. Some boards feature variable speed control, allowing the board’s speed to be limited or increased via a mobile app.
Battery Charging Times
Whether or not this is a deal-breaker is up to you to decide. Faster battery charging times are always preferable but aren’t the most important factor to consider. With entry-level hoverboards, charging times range from less than 2 hours to more than 5 hours. But it’s worth remembering that faster charging can sometimes (though not always) mean reduced battery life. Always check battery charging times and battery life before buying a hoverboard.
With most entry-level self-balancing scooters, you’ll be looking at a device weight of around 20lbs. Some heavier boards edge closer to 30lbs, while others tip the scales at around 15lbs. If portability is a priority, be sure to check the board’s weight before buying. As all hoverboards have a limited battery life, you’ll inevitably spend some time carrying it around.
Last but not least, even an entry-level board should have a decent range. This refers to the distance a hoverboard can cover before it needs to be charged once again. Depending on the board you buy, you could be looking at anything from 5 miles to 10+ miles. Cheaper boards typically have a more limited range, but some outperform their costlier counterparts. Hence, it’s crucial to check the range of the board you’re considering before making your final decision.